Tuesday, July 16, 2013

It's easy for me

to mull all this Fringe stuff over with my blogger hat on. (See part 1 here, part 2 here, part 3 here, and part 4 here.) When I was a producer all I wanted to do was get people in the seats. If me writing a review of someone else's show helped spread the goodwill enough to help my show in any way, why not? No kind word was above using to help promote my show.

But then I felt like my main goals as a producer were to come in below or on budget, take care of my creatives, get them an audience, and make sure the audience had a good experience (whether or not they liked the show). When I wasn't doing that, I was just trying to enjoy the Fringe as an audience member, or meet and get to know other artists, enjoy their work, grapple with it, and have a good time. I don't think there's anything terribly negative or calculating about any of that. And I can say with confidence that I did all of those things.

Minus the occasional AC problems. Sorry Alex.

Okay, one last thing and then I'll quit; I promise. No new post for this one either. 

Towards the end of my run I put a kind word out of my Facebook feed from a friend on my show's Fringe page. And of course I did in part to indicate that all the pull quotes I used have the same value, objectively speaking. All expression is tainted, problematic, flawed. We get pissed because the LATimes isn't covering us, but what does the LATimes know? We worry that our friends like our work only because they're our friends, but who gets us better than our friends?

We worry that people aren't going to get our play. Won't take us seriously. Will take us too seriously. Or we worry that we're just doing a play no one's really going to see in the scheme of things, so why do it at all? It's just the Fringe; it's not [insert big regional or New York theater here]. It's not a TV show. Not a movie. Not even a webseries. Why write a play? Why produce it? Why invite an audience? Why write a blog? Why do any of it? Why bother?

Why not?

No comments: