Sunday, December 30, 2012

LACMA post - Ken Price

I had a good afternoon at LACMA a couple of weeks ago. I typed up a bunch of notes on my phone as I was walking through -- mostly quotes and text from the various shows. I've been meaning to publish them here.

The Ken Price retrospective is a lovely tribute -- nicely designed by Frank Gehry and full of playful, colorful ceramics. Here are a couple of nice quotes from Price that I found in the wall text.
"I used to call it the highway to the unconscious. And that's where I like to be, in that place where you're open, your mind goes quiet, and before long all kinds of possibilities come."
"You don't have to act serious to be serious."

"A craftsman knows what he's going to make and an artist doesn't know what he's going to make, or what the finished product is going to look like."
Mapplethorpe is next.

No comments: