Monday, November 30, 2009

an Albee post

Matthew Freeman turned me on to a little bit of writing online about Edward Albee. His post is here, and all based on a blog post an Australian writer named Laura Parker wrote about hearing Albee speak and thinking the 80-something playwright sounded like an "old fogey."

One of the things I love about Albee is that every time he opens his mouth, there's always someone making hay out of what he says about theater -- fidelity to the text, directors as servants of the text, text text and more text, etc. -- who seems unaware that he's been saying all these things for decades. Who then goes on to use a headline like "Who's afraid of Edward Albee?" Never mind.

And then other bloggers have to go on about it too. And then there are the bloggers who blog about the bloggers who blog about Albee. And then there's me, blogging about the bloggers who blog about the bloggers who blog about Albee. And so goes the theater blogosphere, I suppose.

That's all well and good, but as far as I'm concerned, the big story is the LaBute-worthy screed that playwright Bruce Norris adds to the comments of Parker's original post. Seriously, click on that link. I'll even give it to you again. Here.

Even if I've heard all that before too, it's nice to read one of the new guys getting feisty.

No comments: